Surviving the Flu Season



At the moment, I have a pile of tissues, a cup of tea, plenty of blankets surrounding me and I'm trying not to be miserable.  I have the flu - I don't know if it is Swine Flu but I know it is the flu and the sooner that I get over it, the better off I will be.

The whole family has the flu right now and after spending the whole night up with my daughter, I thought I would write about how we are surviving right now.  Right now I am putting some natural methods of conquer the flu into practice.  These are things my family is doing - this is not medical advise and I highly suggest that you do the research on these things for your own family. 

1.  Colostrum - this greatly boosts your immune system and allows for your body to fight bad bacteria better.  Colostrum is found in mammals when a new baby is born and gives that new baby the boost they need to develop healthy and strong.  Scientists and homeopathic doctors have found a way to take bovine colostrum and put into pill form so we all can benefit from it.  I have found that colostrum really has helped to boost my family's immune systems and if I give the maximum doses in the beginning stages of a flu - they fight it much quicker and easier.

2.  Washing hands frequently.  I really trying to teach my two-year old this necessary hygiene practice because she is the one that gets the family sick the most.  Antibacterial gels and sanitizer should be used sparingly because while they do a great job of killing the bad bacteria, they also kill the good bacteria that we all need.

3.  Fresh fruits and veggies.  During the winter time, our fresh fruit and vegetable intake goes down considerably thus causing us to not have the proper vitamins that we need.  In North Dakota, this is especially hard because all our fruits and vegetables have to be imported from other states.  Look over the fresh produce you buy carefully and try to find the best looking available.  I avoid Walmart's fresh produce as I have found that it is not fresh and tends to spoil quickly.




4. Boiron Oscillococcinum® is a mainstay in our home.  As soon as anyone in our family is starting to get sick the Oscillococcinum comes out.  I had the opportunity to review the children's line and was very impressed.  The honey cough syrup was great for my daughter and really helped some of the coughing spells she was getting.  Also when she did get the flu, we gave her oscillococcinum and she was over the flu by the end of the day.  I love that Oscillococcinum is natural and has no side effects.  The Coldcalm Pellets are also something that I keep on hand for the whole family.  Boiron has products for both children and adults and this is something we try never to run out of.  Go here to print off a $1.00/1 coupon.

5.  Colloidal Silver - this is something my family uses to get rid of sore throats, ear infections, and other things.  I know this can be a hot topic for many people so I highly recommend doing your own research and making the determination for your own family after much research.

6.  Drink lots of water.  Drinking between 64 and 96 ounces of water a day helps to keep your body hydrated properly and is also a natural cleanser for your body.  Drinking less than 64 ounces of water a day can increase your chances of gall bladder infections and many other infections.


7.  Reduce your sugar intake. Sugar can be the breeding ground for many bad bacterias.  High levels of sugar can cause yeast infections and rather than helping you get better can actually cause you to get sicker.  When sick also try to avoid fruits that are high in sugar as they also will not help.  Fruit juices can also contain high levels of sugar so I try to limit these also during the times that we have the flu.  Three to four ounces a day is all that is recommended.


8.  Sunshine.  There is nothing better than good sunshine for your body.  Open your windows and blinds and try to allow as much sunshine in as possible.  Head outside for even just a little bit.  I know it is cold and this can be difficult but sunshine is good for the body.  I live in North Dakota so it does get very cold here but I try to either take Vitamin D or take my daughter outside for a little bit each day.


9.  Rest.  I can not stress this enough.  As a mom getting enough rest can be hard.  Each little member of my family has a rest time during the afternoon so I can rest too.  Last night, I was up six times with my sick daughter and twice with my son so after this post is written I am taking a nap.  We will become sick or get even sicker by not getting the proper rest our bodies need.  I have seen very healthy people really affected by the flu because they go to bed at midnight and get up at 5 or 6 in the morning.  There is nothing worse for your body. 

Disclaimer: The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.

Does your family have natural or other methods of surviving the flu season?  I would love to hear your tips, comments, and other feedback! 

0 comments: