Meals With My Deals: Chicken Corn Chowder

Surviving The Stores Meals With My Deals

For this week's Meals With My Deals, I am sharing a special family favorite.  Several years ago, I had my jaw broken and wired shut for 6 weeks.  I could not eat any solid foods and all had to go through a straw.  A friend dropped off this soup with everything drained so I got the broth part.  When she told me that it was Mexican Corn Chowder, I was not excited about trying it.  From the moment both my husband and I tried it, it became a monthly meal.  I have added some ingredients and taken some out.  We no longer call it Mexican Corn Chowder because I took out the spiciness because my husband's belly can not handle it.

I use my Gold N Plump Chicken coupons and watch for clearance sales at Target to purchase the chicken that goes is this.  I normally can make the entire soup for entire $6 for a family of 6.  



Chicken Corn Chowder

 

Ingredients

* 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 cup chicken broth (I make mine with chicken stock)
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dill weed
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon basil
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon oregano
* 2 cups half-and-half cream
* 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
* 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
* 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
*4 medium potatoes, cooked and chopped
* 1 medium tomato, chopped
* Minced fresh cilantro, optional

Directions


In a Dutch oven, brown chicken, onion and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink.


Add the chicken broth, dill weed basil, and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

 

  

Stir in the cream, cheese, corn, potatoes, and chilies.

 
  
Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted.

  

 
Add tomatoes(if you choose too - my husband prefers it without it) 

Sprinkle with cilantro if desired. 

Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
 

2 comments:

Rachel @ Surviving The Stores said...

That looks so incredible!! I'm definitely going to have to try this one. I would take it with no tomatoes too... maybe I'll dice up a few for my hubby and son to sprinkle on theirs.

And I love how you put your logo on your pictures... I need to start doing that!

Anonymous said...

Yum! You gotta make that for me when I come to visit next!

-Hannah (your sis)-