Small Talk Six is all about the “6 celebrities you had a crush on when you were a tween or teen.” Because I did not grow up with a TV and know the name of very few celebrities, I have changed the question - "6 people that you had as a hero growing up." This question was easy for me because I was an avid reader and also grew up in church so there were quite a few people that I could admire. Some were book characters and others were people I knew.
1. My parents. My parents had some struggles when we were growing up but they stayed together and raised us well. I prayed that I would marry a man similar to my dad and could have the strong character that my mom has. My mom is one of the hardest working women I know.
2. Elsie Dinsmore. These books are some of the most excellent character building books I know for young girls. I loved the stories and adventures that Elsie encountered but I so badly wanted the character and love for God that Elsie had. I still do.
3. Sheryl Shaffer. This sweet lady is my Pastor's wife and has been since I was 7 years old. Her daughter is the same age as me so I spent some time at their house. She has the character that I have always wanted in my life and what I am striving for.
4. Esther. As a young girl, Esther's story was always a favorite.
5. Ruth. I love the fact that she sacrificed all that she had to take care of her mother in law and to follow the God of her husband.
6. Ginger. This is one of the sweetest ladies I know and someone that I greatly admire. She is the one that had the opportunity to lead me to the Lord and she has always been special to my heart. She is a blessing with the character that she has.
Those were the people I admired growing up. Who did you admire or want to be like as you grew up?